Monday, June 16, 2008

Sorry I have been busy

Sorry it has been forever since I posted something new. I guess I have just been busy. My schedule has been a bit different since I have taken the boys out of their pre-school/after school care. Although I have been extremely tired, sometimes being awake for almost 36 hours at a time I have been loving the time I get to spend with the kids. I am amazed at how fast time gets away from us. Caleb just finished his kindergarten year. I cannot believe it. He really amazes me with his ability to pick up new things. He was awarded principals award for having straight A's in every subject. The thing that amazes me the most it that he really didn't struggle with it either. He has began to read, finishing the school year with a reading level of 1st grade in the 2nd month of school. He loves to read. He and Devin both, they can sit and read for hours. I hope this continues with them as they grow up. 
  Since school has been out we have been having a lot of fun in the sun. We bought Disney water park annual passes and have really been getting our money's worth out of them. We try to go to either Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon at least once a week. We have a blast. Devin is my wild child. Not one ride, no matter how big, scares him. I think the bigger the better for Devin. There are rides that make Caleb nervous that Devin doesn't even blink an eye to. He can't wait to be tall enough to go on the really big slides. It is a blessing being so close to the theme parks to be able to spend a day or even a few hours there and go home and take a nap, or in the event that there is rain (like every afternoon in Florida) there is no worry, we can come back next week. Caleb got up the courage to swim with the sharks at Typhoon Lagoon with his Dad. The water was more of a concern to him than the sharks and sting rays in the water. The water was freezing after all. Once he was out of the water he was really excited with his accomplishment. 
I have been really busy at work. The hospital is at full capacity. Since the summer has began very rarely has there been an empty bed on our floor. I guess it was a cold winter. This has been keeping us working though. I am loving my job, the people I work with are a blast. I thought that I would want to go to Labor and Delivery by now, but the floor that I am on is great. Between fixing babies that are not staying on the monitor, consoling the nervous Mom that is having pregnancy issues to running patients down to the OR with stat c-sections for baby heart tones in the 60s we are keeping busy. There really isn't anything that I don't like about my work. I love seeing the miracles that happen there. One patient of mine came in with twins at 23 weeks gestation (this is before we consider a baby viable). She was 4-5 cm dilated with no cervix left and a bulging bag of water. I admitted her, holding my breath the whole night, afraid that she would deliver at any moment. This sweet patient layed in bed, on her side with her feet up until she was 34 weeks pregnant. I was on the floor when we sent her home 3 months later. Within a week she was back to deliver her twin boys that are now 3 months old. She has been back with her boys to visit and they are just as beautiful as can be. 
Another one of my patients, (probably one of my favorites and all time memorable) came in at 24 weeks pregnant having blood pressure complications with her pregnancy, a thing we call pre-eclampsia. Her baby was already going to have some challenges if he were to be born at full term. He has a complication call tetralogy of fallot. This is when every problem that can be wrong with a persons heart is wrong. He would need to be at least 4 lbs to survive the surgery to fix his heart. Sadly at 25 weeks the pre-eclampsia became severe and we had to send my patient for a c-section. Her baby was born at a mere 1 lb. 1 oz. Against all odds, he is still fighting in the NICU two months later at 4 lbs. 3 oz. and doing well. These are the stories that keep me coming back to work and loving it.  I can go on and on about things that we see at work, from a patient hemorrhaging in bed to a baby being born a bit to soon on our floor instead of on the Labor and Delivery floor. Antepartum is a great place to work, I am loving it. 
I will try to get some pictures up soon. 

1 comment:

~LisaLou~ said...

Ha ha ha! I was going on your blog expecting to see the elephant post and was going to write you a quick note to see how you guys are!
Glad to see you are having fun! I think you have the coolest job! What a fulfilling place to work. My cousin is going through one of those fun experiences. She just had her fourth baby and her oldest is only 3 weeks older than Ty (he turns 3 on Saturday). (they are the "Ryan and Kristin" link on the right side of my blog if you want to read the details). They have had a really tough time...I just thought how important you girls are to these women. I bet you are the best nurse to have!
That's cool Caleb swam with the sharks. We'll be watching for Devin's turn and expecting him to be riding the sharks!
Well, tell everyone hello and we love you guys.
Love, Lisa

Brandon and Sarah

Brandon and Sarah
I am loved!

Caleb Nathaniel

Caleb Nathaniel
6 years old

Devin Garrett

Devin Garrett
3 years old